The Global Media Studies Initiative (GMSI) is a cross-disciplinary hub for academics, students, media practitioners, and others to explore and discuss the global impact of media and communication technologies, cultures, and industries in a comparative and historical fashion.
Housed in the Department of Communication Studies, and drawing on expertise from other departments and centers at the University of Michigan, GMSI’s research and teaching address a range of topics including: creative and cultural Industries; global media events; media, culture, and identity in global contexts; digital infrastructure studies; and the communicative affordances of media and information technologies. Through symposia, research workshops, lectures and other activities, GMSI provides collaborative research opportunities for graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and faculty.
- Foster collaborative research projects.
- Generate research and teaching resources for scholars and students worldwide.
- Cultivate research networks devoted to global media and communication research.
- Organize workshops and conferences.
- Support publishing cutting-edge research and policy memos, articles, and books.
- Provide students with global research and work experience.
Dr. Aswin Punathambekar
Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Communication Studies
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor